[Techtalk] kernel security patches

Devdas Bhagat devdas at dvb.homelinux.org
Wed Mar 17 13:37:13 EST 2004

On 16/03/04 11:08 -0800, Carla Schroder wrote:
> I'm so confused. :) And feeling like a bit of a dunce, after all these years
> of using Linux. How do distributions handle applying kernel security patches?
Distributions apply patches to kernel sources on their build boxes.
These patched kernels are then compiled and built into packages.
When you upgrade the package, you replace the previous kernels files on
disk by totally new binaries. This principle applies to any binary
patching system.

Devdas Bhagat