[Techtalk] Gender as a weapon? Pen-testing and female auditors

Sue Stones suzo at spin.net.au
Wed Mar 17 14:38:51 EST 2004

On Wed, 17 Mar 2004 11:57 am, R. Daneel Olivaw wrote:
> Rachel McConnell <rachel at xtreme.com> a écrit:
> > > Anyhow, do what you think is "right".
> >
> > I'm not sure this is the right question to ask, actually.  The whole
> > idea of social engineering penetration testing is to USE 'looking
> > pretty' as one of the tools of the job.  Thus in this case using one's
> >
> > looks and/or sex appeal is a (required?) part of being efficient (&
> > therefore effective), not an alternative.

Actually I don't know what pen testing is, but I get a general idea from this
thread.  It sounds to me like the sort of job that I souldn't be prepared to
do at all (and which I would be no good at in any case).  But I don't see why
using sex is any different to the other aspects of social engineering
mentioned in this thread.

I doubt that it makes any difference to the sexist attitude out there.
Although for some reason I haven't been subject to the sexism that everyone
else faces, I experience much less sexism now that in previous areas of
interest. (perhaps its an age thing - plus I'm not very sensitive to it).

Any way I suggest you do what *you want*.  Try not to get pressured into using
sex as a tool if you don't want to, after all you have to live with yourself
when you go home at night.    But if you feel like playing that role, then
why not.  In particular hiding your technical prowess isn't really sex
realted, there areat least as many men out there who have very little
technical knowledge and are impressed by people showing off in technical
areas.

sue