[Techtalk] Gender as a weapon? Pen-testing and female auditors

Karine Proot kproot at nerim.net
Mon Mar 15 21:42:58 EST 2004

On Mon, 2004-03-15 at 15:44, Raven Alder wrote:
> 	So, I'd like to poll some other geekfemmes. If you have any
> stories about being able to get what you wanted in a tech capacity or a
> social engineering capacity, and you think being a girl had anything to
> do with it (or, conversely, if you're a guy who has used his sexuality
> to social engineer), I'd love to hear about it.

My boss told me last month:
"Why do you want to stay on the techie side? As a female, you would be
much more effective (hear 'for us') if you'd be team manager or anything
involving social engineering."

So it seems I use gender weapons without really noticing it (I do
believe any woman do). But I can't relate any personal experience as I
stayed on the tech part only so far :) I also feel uneasy about the
idea, even though I still have to think about it to know why exactly...
As you said, sometimes I'm desperate when I see my colleagues can't see
a tech, (female) in me but a female, period. And sometimes I can see how
it eases things, I can't deny it. I have pretty much the same questions
as yours :)

Karine