[Techtalk] Gender as a weapon? Pen-testing and female auditors

Patricia Fraser trish at thefrasers.org
Tue Mar 16 03:06:44 EST 2004

Heya Raven,

> 	I normally solve this problem by staying mostly on the tech side
> of the house and letting others do the social engineering.  I'm a
> rotten liar anyway.  But the few times that I have even dipped my
> toes in, it's been shockingly effective.  But ew.  Slimy.

I'd be thinking of myself as person first, female second, and deciding
what *I* wanted to do. You get to choose - just like it ought to be.
That's not always easy; that's the price you pay for having the choice.

Social engineering *is* effective, and I think it's even more effective
when the engineeree is being worked on via their prejudgement that
"women don't do bad things, so I'm safe". Never mind that for a minute:
what's your answer to "But Raven doesn't do bad things"?

Cheers,
--
Trish Fraser, Sunbury, Australia
GNU/Linux user #283226  counter.li.org