[Techtalk] Re: Discovering my IP address

John Clarke johnc+linuxchix at kirriwa.net
Mon Mar 15 16:52:04 EST 2004

On Mon, Mar 15, 2004 at 03:32:32PM +1100, Sue Stones wrote:

> What I thought I needed was the IP address used over the internet.  But even
> though the above seemed to give me that it still doesn't work.

Your local X server listens on tcp port 6000 + display number (usually
0).  You need to allow this traffic through your firewall.  Make sure
you only allow traffic from the Matlab server's IP address and *only*
when you want to use it.  You'll also need to use xauth to allow the
remote box to connect.

An even better solution would be to use ssh with x11 forwarding enabled.
It will automatically set $DISPLAY and tunnel the traffic so that you
don't need to make a hole in your firewall.  All connections to your
local X server will originate from the local ssh process with source
address 127.0.0.1, with no need for any holes in your firewall and no
need to play with xauth.

Cheers.

John
--
Why appologize to them?  X is a bletcherous piece of crap which should
have been aborted before it ever tore its way out of the MIT womb and