[Techtalk] Re: Discovering my IP address

Raven Alder raven at oneeyedcrow.net
Sun Mar 14 23:23:09 EST 2004

Heya --

Quoth Sue Stones (Mon, Mar 15, 2004 at 02:19:18PM +1100):
> I don't have a static IP address, but I have just discovered that I need to
> know my IP address for an application for uni.
> Does anyone know how to find out what it is?

	If you have root, ifconfig should show you.  (Some flavors of
Linux will not let users see that info.)  If you don't... do you have a
Web server out there?  And access to your logs?  Go hit
http://www.yourwebserver.com/somepagethatdoesnotexist.html, then look in
your error_log for the request.  That should have your IP (or the IP of
your proxy if you are being proxied).  Other things you can do... there
are some Web pages that will tell you your IP.  (Or, again, the IP of
your proxy if you are being proxied.)  When I look at my LJ, I see
the IPs of everyone that commented.  You can also try to sniff traffic
on your local network to see your IP, but some places might object to
that.  Privacy and all.

	[googles]

	Ha!  There exists http://www.whatismyip.com/ which seems made
for this purpose.

Cheers,
Raven

"We want to follow each citizen from birth to death with the all-
 knowing protection power of our databases."
  -- Mr. Herold, head of German police, ~1970