[Techtalk] infinite subdirs!!

Kai MacTane kmactane at GothPunk.com
Fri Mar 12 23:26:45 EST 2004

At 3/12/04 09:58 PM , Carla Schroder wrote:
>Ever see anything like this? It's the same with ls or a graphical browser,
>the
>subdirs never end:
>http://bratgrrl.com/boot.png

I accidentally created something like that once, with a script that didn't
perform quite the way I'd intended. Of course, there can't actually be a
truly infinite number of subdirectories there; each dir does take a few
bytes, plus an inode, and both of those are finite resources.

It can be vaguely amusing to see how long "rm -rf /boot/boot" takes to
complete. (Just make *sure* that the files you need in /boot are really
there, rather than stuck way down in /boot/boot/boot/.../boot somehow. But
you knew that already.)

So, how did this happen?

                                                 --Kai MacTane
"When nothing's sacred any more,
  When the demon's knocking on your door,
  You're still staring down at the floor."
                                                 --The Chameleons UK,
                                                  "Swamp Thing"