[Techtalk] monitor

Rasjid Wilcox rasjidw at openminddev.net
Sat Mar 13 09:25:50 EST 2004

On Saturday 13 March 2004 06:48, terri at ...... wrote:
> I've found the best way to do that is to use a KVM switch.

Depending on exactly what you are trying to achieve, another way is to use
either VNC (this can be used to display the 'desktop' of one machine on the
other - either way) or install Cygwin/X on the Windows box and use it to
control the Linux box.  Both of these are similar (particularly VNC) to
PCAnywhere (if you have ever used that).

This will be substantially cheaper (ie, free) than using a KVM switch.  VNC is
easiest to set up if you are mostly using the Linux box and just want to
control the Windows box without unplugging the monitor.  Useful for printing
things or viewing websites that only display correctly under IE.

Setting up either VNC or Cygwin/X to control the Linux box from the Windows
box is not hard, but is not quite so intuitive.  Feel free to post back here
if you decide to do this and need help.  Across a LAN Cygwin/X will most
likely respond better - whereas VNC is better across slow links (controlling
a remove PC via dialup or even broadband).

Cheers,

Rasjid.

--
Rasjid Wilcox