[Techtalk] question

Carla Schroder carla at bratgrrl.com
Thu Mar 11 11:34:24 EST 2004

On Thursday 11 March 2004 6:56 am, Jose Soto wrote:

>    Ok im new at this and if im doing something wrong just inform me
>    please. Well i'm having problems with my Linux and Windows O.S.'s.
>    I installed Windows 2000 and then Linux; and my computer would only
>    access Linux but the Windows partition would still be there. Then i
>    reinstalled Windows and now it would only access Windows and not
>    Linux???? Can anyone help? Thank You.

What flavor of Linux are you running? What's your Linux bootloader, GRUB or
LILO?

The easy way, for most Linuxes, is to install Windoze first, then Linux. Then,
during the Linux installation, make sure to install the bootloader (I favor
GRUB) in the MBR (master boot record), and 'let Linux manage the boot
process,' or whatever the wording is for your Linux. All modern Linuxes will
discover your Windows partitions and set up dual-boot during the
installation.

This tutorial has a great section on using GRUB for multi-booting. I know it's
great 'cause I wrote it:  Build a Linux test network
http://www-106.ibm.com/developerworks/edu/l-dw-linux-ltn-i.html?S_TACT=104AHW03&S_CMP=EDU

--
Carla Schroder