[Techtalk] Getting rid of spyware

Dan Richter daniel.richter at wimba.com
Thu Mar 11 16:39:02 EST 2004

My wife installed some free product she got off the Internet, and now
she's got something stuck in her browser that opens pop-up windows with
ads at random occasions. (This is true even when she's on the corporate
internal website, which of course doesn't have ads.) Needless to say,
she's using Windoze and Internet Exploiter.

This arguably isn't spyware because it isn't hidden, but it's still
annoying. Does anyone know of a good way to find out what it is and/or
get rid of it?

--
  Indeed, I've noticed a number of these [virus] emails today - I'd
  click on it, have a laugh and delete it. Of course, I run Linux so