[Techtalk] Using Debian Testing (Sarge) on production servers

Michelle Murrain tech at murrain.net
Sun Mar 7 14:30:03 EST 2004

At 4:58 PM +1100 3/6/04, Rasjid Wilcox wrote:
>On Saturday 06 March 2004 14:35, Mary wrote:
>>  In other words, unstable gets security updates earlier than testing
>>  because unstable is where new versions packages go first.
>
>Thus the advice I was given.
>
>Perhaps I should give a bit more info about what I'm doing.
>
>I have been following the 'Postfix-Cyrus-Web-cyradm-HOWTO' and have been
>adapting it to work with Debian Sarge.
<snip>

As someone who  (in retrospect) mistakenly used Testing on production
machines, I will say that I will never do it again. It is the old
issue that you first raised: Stable is just too old. But the security
issue, as well as the occasional fatal flaw in a package that makes
it to testing, made me realize that testing is just too dangerous to
use as a production platform.

I'm not sure exactly what I'm going to be moving to. I've got several
RH 9 boxes now (which puts me in a different kind of bind). And I am
actually trying to figure out what to use next. Mepis is tempting, as
are some of the other debian based distros.
--
.Michelle

Michelle Murrain
mmurrain at dbdes dot com
413-253-2874 ph
413-222-6350 cell
413-825-0288 fax
AIM:pearlbear0 ICQ:129250575
SMS: 4132226350 at messaging dot sprintpcs dot com

"Work like you don't need the money. Love like you've never been
hurt. Dance like nobody's watching." - Satchel Paige