[Techtalk] simple mail filtering via whitelist - suggestions?

Kathryn Hogg kjh at flyballdogs.com
Sat Mar 6 13:32:41 EST 2004

At 3/5/04 03:58 PM , Travis Casey wrote:
>What I'd like to do is create a "whitelist" of approved senders, and let
>mail from them go on to her.  Anything from someone else would be
>redirected to me.

You could do almost all of what you want with an email list server like
ecartis.

I'd set up an email list as your daughters public email address.  Make the
list moderated and you would be the admin.  Set yourself to VACATION so
you don't receive copies of all her email.  Anyone who is whitelisted
would be subsribed to the list but with DIAGNOSTIC & PREAPPROVE flags set.
 DIAGNOSTIC means that they don't receive list messages and PREAPPROVE
says their messages don't have to be moderated.  You can then configure
the list so that messages from non-subscribers are moderated.

Of course your daughters "real" email address is subscribed.  Now you need
to make sure that this address is not directly reachable from outside
sites.  You should be able to configure procmail so that if a message
comes from outside, then it should be forwarded to her ecartis address.
Messages sent to her from ecartis would be delivered to her inbox.

--
Kathryn
http://womensfootyusa.com