[Techtalk] simple mail filtering via whitelist - suggestions?

Dan Richter daniel.richter at wimba.com
Sat Mar 6 15:55:15 EST 2004

> What I'd like to do is create a "whitelist" of approved senders, and let
> mail from them go on to her.  Anything from someone else would be
> redirected to me.

If you're interested in cheap but non-free solutions, SpamCop.net offers
such a service for about $15 a year. Whitelists are actually the most
basic of SpamCop's protections. There is also a "confirmation" option
that works as follows:
1) When an e-mail from an unknown address is received, SpamCop sends an
automated response with a confirmation link.
2) The sender of the mail receives the response and clicks the link.
3) After the sender clicks the link, the e-mail is accepted and his
address is added to the whitelist for next time.

Although it's a paid service, the inventor of SpamCop is primarilly
interested in controlling spam; he probably doesn't get enough money
from subscriptions to pay his expenses. SpamCop includes an excellent
spam-reporting service which is free.

P.S. - I believe that SpamCop actually is open-source. In other words,
you can get the source code for free, but if you want to use the
SpamCop.net server (i.e., the physical machine), you have to pay.

--
    They've signed me up for every advertising campaign