[Techtalk] tar xfvj

Carla Schroder carla at bratgrrl.com
Tue Mar 2 09:40:59 EST 2004

On Tuesday 02 March 2004 1:47 am, Telsa Gwynne wrote:

> -j (--bzip or j) is not an obvious mnemonic, but I think they were
> running out by then! It is, however, a legitimate GNU tar option
> these days.
>
> As for the order:
>
> > On Mon, 2004-03-01 at 21:45, Carla Schroder quoted:
> > > $ tar xfvj /path/to/linux-2.6.0-test7.tar.bz2
>
> No, I wouldn't do that.
>
> > if I use: tar cfvj jpg.bz2 *.jpg
> > tar: jpg.bz2: Cannot stat: No such file or directory
> > but  tar cjvf jpg.bz2 *.jpg works, so I can assume the f needs
> > to be last? however, when extracting, tar xfvj jpg.bz2 it works
> > fine even though the f isnt last. this isnt much help ;-)
>
> There is a long explanation in the info page for tar about
> the differences between mnemonic (long option) options, short
> options (one hyphen and one letter) and old-style options
> (no hyphen, one letter).

Thanks Telsa and everyone. I finally found the -j option in 'info tar'. It's
not mentioned in 'short option summary.' It's in the 'Option Summary' node-
under b, for --bzip2. (insert ritual 'info suxors' rant.) However, I did
finally discover how to do string searches in info. From inside any info
page:

`s
Search for string []:

That's backtick lowercase s.