[Techtalk] RE: having problems with cvs add -- solved

John Clarke johnc+linuxchix at kirriwa.net
Mon Mar 1 11:28:59 EST 2004

On Sun, Feb 29, 2004 at 02:17:04PM +0000, Meredydd wrote:

> Hmm, sorry for the ignorance, but what function does "cvs release"
> fulfil? I've never encountered it while using CVS (although it's

The advantage of using `cvs release -d' over `rm -rf' is that it checks
to make sure that there aren't any uncommitted changes in the working
directory before deleting it.  It also leaves a record in the history
file and notifies anyone who has a watch on the files.

>From the info file:

    This command checks that no uncommitted changes are present; that
    you are executing it from immediately above a CVS working
    directory; and that the repository recorded for your files is the
    same as the repository defined in the module database.

    If all these conditions are true, `cvs release' leaves a record of
    its execution (attesting to your intentionally abandoning your
    checkout) in the CVS history log.

Cheers,

John
whois !JC774-AU at whois.aunic.net