[Techtalk] monitor cycling on & off

Carla Schroder carla at bratgrrl.com
Sat Jun 26 11:37:28 EST 2004

On Saturday 26 June 2004 10:46 am, Carla Schroder wrote:
>  **please reply to the list, I read the list and don't need duplicates**
>
> On Saturday 26 June 2004 8:34 am, gab wrote:
> > I have an NEC MultiSync P750.  It's still my favorite monitor even
> > though it's almost a decade old.  Recently, it's starting cycling on &
> > off instead of going into sleep mode. This is going to kill the monitor
> > in short order, I'm sure.  I had not installed/upgraded anything when it
> > started doing this.  There's nothing freaky in my logs.  I have *no
> > idea* where to even start with troubleshooting & I'm not having any luck
> > with google.  RH9, Gnome Desktop, Radeon AllinOneder 9700.
> >
> > Thanks for any tips!
> >

> Can you put it on a different PC to see what happens? It sounds like a
problem
> with the monitor itself to me, but the easiest first check I know is to try
> it on a different PC first.

One other thing I just remembered- on every Red Hat PC I've ever used, from
version 8.0 on, whatever mechanism RH uses to turn monitors on and off is
really loud and clunky. Like during installation, and during startup and
reboots. On all my other PCs, the screen will flicker on and off at certain
times, during startups etc., but not with loud alarming clunks and clicks. So
I would try a different PC with a different OS.