[Techtalk] winmodem hsfconfig problem

Gebhard Dettmar gebhard.dettmar at student.hu-berlin.de
Sat Jun 12 19:51:31 EST 2004

You (and Devdas) are right.
techtalk-bounces at linuxchix.org scribbled on Saturday, June 12, 2004
6:10 PM

> This is occasionally caused by a trailing carriage-return character
> (ASCII 13) in the shebang line. In this case, the loader would try
> to look for an interpreter "/bin/sh\r", which of course doesn't
>                   exist. (note the \r  ^^ )
>
> This typically happens when, at some time, Windows was involved
> while editing or transferring the file (e.g. FTP-downloading the
> script under
> Windows in FTP ASCII mode, or something like that...).
Of course I did it like this since i have no modem under linux ;-(
> To check, you could for example do a 'less -u' on the script. This
> causes special characters to be displayed (carriage-return: ^M ),
> i.e. you'd see
>
> #!/bin/sh^M
Exactly. Don't know why I don't see it in vi. Is it something one has
to turn on in the .vimrc or something like that? When I edit
html-files on the Webserver in vi I do see it
> 'less' in normal mode, 'cat', and many editors do not display
> \r-characters, so they often go unnoticed, until weird things
> happen...
>
> Use 'dos2unix' (or some similar tool) to convert the line endings
> to unix style.
I don't know if I have dos2unix (sitting here at work) Since this
should be the case in every file in every subdirectory of the driver,
could I use Devdas perl-script with find?
find . -name *.* -exec perl -pi -e 's/\r\n/\n/' {} \;
However, 'make install' produced no error messages
> Just an idea...
> Almut
Thanks a lot
gebhard