[Techtalk] Home DNS server

dave lc at syberdave.net
Sat Jun 12 11:37:57 EST 2004

I plan to terminate my Usermode Linux account (virtual server), and I have a question.

BIND is running there and I would like to run it on my home machine. It is not always online, but my domain must always resolve because I have a mail/web account with another hosting provider.

Can I just make my machine the primary DNS server, and have my secondaries cover for it when it isn't on? And if it does work, will there be any delays trying to resolve my domain?

I am aware of the sites that provide free DNS service (such as everydns.net), but I don't know if those could be trusted.

-Dave