[Techtalk] DVD drive frustrations

L J Laubenheimer ljl at rahul.net
Mon Jun 7 21:29:36 EST 2004

Carla Schroder wrote:

> Yes, if the modules exist, that should work.  You can peek in the
> lib/modules/$kernel/kernel/drivers directory to see if they are present:
>
> $ locate modules | grep cd
> /lib/modules/2.4.21/kernel/drivers/block/paride/pcd.o
> /lib/modules/2.4.21/kernel/drivers/cdrom
> /lib/modules/2.4.21/kernel/drivers/cdrom/cdrom.o
> /lib/modules/2.4.21/kernel/drivers/ide/ide-cd.o
> /lib/modules/2.4.21/kernel/drivers/usb/usblcd.o
>
> I think it's worth noting that using modprobe is preferable to using insmod,
> because modprobe satisfies all dependencies. A lot of documentation still
> refers to insmod. Yes, dependency hell lurks in every corner of Linux,
> waiting to pounce!

The kernel is 2.4.18-bf2.4.  It has ide-cd compiled in to the kernel
(CONFIG_BLK_DEV_IDECD=y) and is the stock 2.4 kernel that comes with Debian.
There is no /lib/modules/2.4.18-bf2.4/kernel/drivers/cdrom directory, I
presume since the cd stuff *should be* compiled in.  Also, this same distro
sees standard CD/RW drives on several other machines.  So it's an issue with
the fact that it's a DVD drive, IMO.

Does anyone know if there are special drivers for DVD drives, as opposed to
plain CD drives?

ljl
--
Linda J Laubenheimer - UNIX Geek, Sysadmin, Bibliophile and Iconoclast
http://www.modusvarious.com/ - consultants available