[Techtalk] DVD drive frustrations

Carla Schroder carla at bratgrrl.com
Mon Jun 7 01:05:51 EST 2004

**please reply to list-only**

On Sunday 06 June 2004 10:48 pm, SJ Straith wrote:

> Some starting information here.
>
> I am running (for various reasons) a dual (Win2K, Debian
> Linux) boot laptop.
>
> For some reason while my laptop has no problem seeing my dvd
> drive in Win2K it will NOT see my dvd drive even as a cd
> drive in my debian boot.
>
> I know that LJL installed the proper drivers, etc when she
> did my initial install, so I'm not sure what's wrong.
>
> Anybody got some suggestions as to how I can correct this
> problem?

Is there anything in dmesg that might give a clue? It should be a plain ole
ATAPI device, nothing extraordinary or weird there. This is what mine looks
like:

hdc: attached ide-cdrom driver
hdc: ATAPI 24x DVD-RPM drive, 512B Cache, UDMA 33
Uniform CD-ROM driver revision: 3.12

It's possible that kernel support was not built in, it's usually a loadable
module, ide-cd and cdrom (try /sbin/lsmod)