[Techtalk] private replies/ list replies

Meredydd meredydd at everybuddy.com
Sun Jun 6 20:29:19 EST 2004

I'm CC'ing grrltalk, as this has really ceased to be a technical
question. Further replies to grrltalk only, please...

On Sunday 06 June 2004 19:37, Devdas Bhagat wrote:
> No. You post to a list. People interested in that topic reply. The
> rest don't get any mail on that subject. You post a summary after
> two/three days of technical discussion, and there are fewer flamewars
> on the list.

No need to be so peremptory - in fact, keeping most-if-not-all
discussion on-list is the Linuxchix house style, and has been for at
least as long as I've been here.

I rather like it this way - one reason is that you get to watch what
people try, as well as what succeeds, which means if you have the same
question, you're more likely to find a solution that works. In
addition, one can refer to an aside of the sort that will be discarded
by the person summarising (and why make them go through all that effort
anyway?) at some later date, and assume that everyone will have access
to it, in the archives, in their mail history, or wherever. One also
gets quite clued-in as to who knows what about what, which is nice, and
builds a feeling of community, which is one of the Big Things this
place is about, and why I like it so much.

Meredydd