[Techtalk] private replies/ list replies

dominik schramm dominik.schramm at gmxpro.net
Sun Jun 6 19:32:40 EST 2004

Carla Schroder <carla at bratgrrl.com> writes:

> ***please reply to list-only***
>
> hey gang,
>
> The last few times I've posted questions here, I got bales of nice helpful
> replies- offlist. I don't understand this.

I saw your message and at the same time your reply-to header line
literally jumped at me, that's why I'm responding right away,
although I think *I* never sent you a reply offlist.

Your Reply-to address is set to "carla at bratgrrl.com",
maybe that's why you get so many answers sent directly to you.

The Linuxchix list servers do not alter the reply-to address
(which they could), but instead rely on you to point it where
you want yourself.
I understand the Linuxchix list server policy regarding "reply-to
mangling" as letting you choose where the replies go.
So setting it to carla seems to indicate to other members that you
want private replies.

Which reminds me of something I've long wanted to do...

regards,
dominik