[Techtalk] private replies/ list replies

Travis Casey efindel at earthlink.net
Sun Jun 6 13:24:16 EST 2004

On Sunday 06 June 2004 12:26, Carla Schroder wrote:

> The last few times I've posted questions here, I got bales of nice
> helpful replies- offlist. I don't understand this. I expect list
> questions to be answered on the list, so that everyone can benefit. Is
> there some sekrit Techtalk rule I'm unaware of?  :)
>
> Seriously, it's happening so much I'm wondering why. I appreciate very
> much all the smart people who share their knowledge- but why the private
> posts? Isn't a public discussion the point of using a list?

Well, in my case, I'm used to lists where the reply-to is set by the list to
be the list -- and I feel that if the list is *intended* to be one where
replies should go to the list, it *should* set the reply-to that way.

I do try to remember to select "reply to mailing list" for the Linuxchix
lists, but sometimes I forget... and in the case of my last reply to you,
Carla, I sent it right before going out of town for a week, so I didn't get
your helpful "did you mean to send this to the list?" until a week
later.  :-/

--
       |\      _,,,---,,_     Travis S. Casey  <efindel at earthlink.net>