[Techtalk] wireless advice

Travis Casey efindel at earthlink.net
Sat Jun 5 19:51:01 EST 2004

On Saturday 05 June 2004 19:33, Kathryn Andersen wrote:

[snip lots]

> The disadvantage of getting the Router, so far as I can see, is that it
> is a Bad Thing for any person who calls themself a Linux geek to do
> anything other than Build Their Own, because commercial routers are
> small and brain-dead and no self-respecting geek would go anywhere near
> one.
>
> So, er, what do you folks say?

Being a geek means having fun with cool tech.  It doesn't mean that you have
to do *everything* yourself, though -- if there's something you don't
*want* to "build from scratch", then by all means, buy something to do it!

Personally, I've got a Linksys WAP/router.  If I ever really want to geek
out with it, it's Linux-based internally, and Linksys has released the code
they're using for it... so I could modify it and reflash it... not that
I'll ever have *time* to, but I could.

But I must admit, I like the convenience, the small size (I have it and the
DSL modem on a shelf with about a 3-inch clearance), the low power draw (12
watts), and the fact that resetting it just takes unplugging it and
replugging it and only takes a few seconds (which makes my non-techie
family members happy).

So... do what you want, and don't pay any attention to anyone who says
you're not a "real geek" because of it.  Real Geeks don't need the approval
of others.  ;-)

--
       |\      _,,,---,,_     Travis S. Casey  <efindel at earthlink.net>