[Techtalk] wireless advice

Carla Schroder carla at bratgrrl.com
Sat Jun 5 16:36:36 EST 2004

On Saturday 05 June 2004 4:33 pm, Kathryn Andersen wrote:
> Hi folks.
> I'm thinking of setting up a tiny wireless network.  I've read this that and
> the other, and I think I know what software to install and what hardware
> to buy --- but....
>
> Looking at my favourite linux site, http://www.everythinglinux.com.au
> it seems that they have a D-Link Access Point and a D-Link Wireless
> Router for about the same price.  So now I am caught between the two.
> The thing is, in the future, I also intend to get ADSL, which means
> that having a Router already could be handy -- except that the last time
> I mentioned this, the only advice I was given was "take an old spare box
> and turn it into a router".

If you had a spare box, may I recommend IPCop. Absolutely the best interface
and best documented Linux gateway/firewall/router/floor wax/dessert topping
there is.

 Problem is, I don't have any old spare
> boxes, in fact I've only *got* two boxes, my desktop (which has
> everything under the sun on it, and therefore not suitable to be turned
> into a secure, bare-bones system) and my laptop (which gets taken out
> and plugged into other systems, and therefore is not suitable to be
> turned into a router).  The desktop has only one ethernet port in it,
> and no spare slots (though it may be that it has a spare slot inside,
> but no spare spaces outside, I'm not sure, but definitely something
> would have to be tossed in order to put another ethernet card into it).
>
> So, the advantage I can see in getting the Router is that the ADSL modem
> (when I get it) can plug straight into the Router, rather than me trying
> to rip things out to get another ethernet card into the desktop, or
> trying to figure out the intricacies of a USB ADSL modem, and also that
> the Router will take care of certain things for me.
>
> The disadvantage of getting the Router, so far as I can see, is that it
> is a Bad Thing for any person who calls themself a Linux geek to do
> anything other than Build Their Own, because commercial routers are
> small and brain-dead and no self-respecting geek would go anywhere near
> one.

Use the nice D-Link box. It's small and consumes less power than an old PC.
And it fits your needs. Don't worry about your geek credentials.  :) It's
rather wrongheaded, I think, to equate 'doing it the hard way' with 'oo
geekcool.'