[Techtalk] Specifying "dead" email addresses: Postfix

Mary mary-linuxchix at puzzling.org
Sat Jun 5 17:31:57 EST 2004

[Note: Please don't give a "if you switch to sendmail/qmail/exim you
could do this" response to this post. I use Postfix and I'm not changing
my mail server for this one feature. Thanks.]

I have a number of email addresses I would like to "kill", normally ones
that have made it onto too many spam lists. Ideally I'd like to be able
to do something like this in a Postfix virtual file:

example.com virtual
@example.com        mary
blah at example.com    blah
foo at example.com     foo at example.net
dead at example.com    DEAD

where the DEAD target for dead at example.com causes Postfix to return a
5xx error for any RCPT TO:<dead at example.com> messages I get.

However "man 5 virtual" and "man postmap" don't give me any clues about
how to mark a particular recipient as non-existant. I suppose I could do
this.

-Mary