[Techtalk] Version Control for Docs?

Conor Daly c.daly at met.ie
Wed Jun 2 09:05:48 EST 2004

On Tue, Jun 01, 2004 at 08:06:39PM -0700 or thereabouts, nicole wrote:

> I think my engineers have just been spoiled by the VSS interface -- you
> browse the tree, click to download, click to check out, click to check in.
> WinCVS works great if you have the entire repository, but you have to
> download all of the files to get the full tree structure.
>
> So, I guess, to refine what I want:
>
> 1) the ability to check out single files
> 2) the ability to download only the "tree structure" without downloading
> all files in the tree

ViewCVS (http://viewcvs.sourceforge.net) provides some of this
functionality.  Not that I've used it other than to do anon CVS browsing on
sourceforge and I certainly haven't installed it or anything.  It claims a
number of features in addition to cvsweb.  I don't know if it does checkin
stuff as well (it claims to need only read access which suggests not).

Then there's subversion (http://subversion.tigris.org/) which wants apache
as its server interface and claims to be pretty nifty.  I'm looking at it as
an option here but just looking so far.

Conor
--
Conor Daly,                   Please avoid sending me
Met Eireann, Glasnevin Hill,  Word or PowerPoint attachments.

This e-mail and any files transmitted with it are confidential
and intended solely for the addressee. If you have received
this email in error please notify the sender.
This e-mail message has also been scanned for the
presence of computer viruses.