[Techtalk] Hot swap drive?

Conor Daly c.daly at met.ie
Tue Jul 27 14:26:53 EST 2004

On Tue, Jul 27, 2004 at 02:45:59PM +0200 or thereabouts, Rudy L. Zijlstra wrote:
> Conor Daly wrote:
>
> >So all I have to do is set fs_passno = 0 for my removable drive.  Now, does
> >this mean that it will never get checked (not even every 180 days or 32
> >mounts whichever comes first)?
> >
> Actually, the options you want is noauto,user
> This will have the following results:
> - partition will not be mounted at boot time (noauto)
> - partition can be mounted by user (user)

I have those.  However, fsck will still try to check the filesystem at boot
time if fs_passno > 0.  This would be fine for normally unmounted fixed
disks since fsck operates on unmounted filesystems anyhow.  However, in the
case of a removable drive, the filesystem might not even be _there_ at boot
time.  If you have a look at your fstab, you should see all removable drives
have fs_passno=0 (/dev/fd0 etc..).

Conor
--
Conor Daly,                   Please avoid sending me
Met Eireann, Glasnevin Hill,  Word or PowerPoint attachments.

This e-mail and any files transmitted with it are confidential
and intended solely for the addressee. If you have received
this email in error please notify the sender.
This e-mail message has also been scanned for the
presence of computer viruses.