[Techtalk] Hot swap drive?

Conor Daly c.daly at met.ie
Fri Jul 23 07:35:13 EST 2004

On Thu, Jul 22, 2004 at 11:33:34AM -0700 or thereabouts, Akkana Peck wrote:

> just wanted to be able to insert the drive on a day when I intended
> to do a backup, then remove it for storage after shutdown.
>
> Even that didn't work.  It turned out that the BIOSes on both of
> my desktop machines weren't good at dealing with IDE changes like
> disks appearing and disappearing.  I thought that would happen

AFAIK, my existing desktop motherboard is happy enough with such things.
I've certainly swapped disks in and out when playing 'space shuffle' without
difficulty.

> It was way too much work, so I dropped the idea.  Now I use a
> combination of CD, IDE disks in USB enclosures (very slow, but
> reliable and easy), and rsync/scp to other machines.  (Tried DVD,

I currently have (on approval) just such a combo.  120Gb HDD in a USB 2
enclosure.  It failed in odd ways on my desktop machine, probably due to the
USB 1.x chip in the mobo (SIS 7001 USB 1.x).  I'm going to run some tests at
work on a known USB 2 port since we're considering such a solution for our
devel server (120Gb Main disk, 250Gb on-board disk holding the backups,
250Gb USB external to mirror the on-board once per week, mondoarchive
actually _doing_ the backups).

For home use, I'll probably go with the mobile rack once I'm happy that the
machine can dance the 'bios disk shuffle'...

Thanks all.
Conor
--
Conor Daly,                   Please avoid sending me
Met Eireann, Glasnevin Hill,  Word or PowerPoint attachments.

This e-mail and any files transmitted with it are confidential
and intended solely for the addressee. If you have received
this email in error please notify the sender.
This e-mail message has also been scanned for the
presence of computer viruses.