[Techtalk] Performance metrics for email processing

Beth Skwarecki beth-linuxchix at loxosceles.org
Tue Jul 13 23:35:28 EST 2004

> At 7/13/04 01:41 PM , Terri Oda wrote:
>
> >A simple "filter A took X minutes, filter B took Y minutes... for Z
> >messages." is all I have in mind at the moment, but what other metrics are
> >useful when it comes to email processing?

> You might also want to record the CPU load before, during and after testing.
>
>                                                  --Kai MacTane

Or use a timing utility that can keep track of cpu resources used, rather
than (or in addition to) just wallclock minutes. Take a look at the time(1)
manpage, it can provide lots of information about the resources used by a
process. (note that /usr/bin/time is NOT the same as the bash builtin of the
same name!)

-beth

--
Beth Skwarecki
http://www.loxosceles.org/

 Don't mess around with large whales because they symbolize nature and
 will kill you.
                --Dave Barry