[Techtalk] iPod with Linux - again

David Sumbler david at aeolia.co.uk
Mon Jul 12 00:24:26 EST 2004

I have now got myself a 40Gb iPod.  I set things up in Windows XP on
my son's computer.  (I have Windows ME, but you need 2000 or XP, it
seems, for the iPod software to install.)

Usually when I put the iPod into its dock, (which is connected to the
firewire card on my FC1 box), and always when I try to mount it on
/mnt/ipod, I get messages such as:

sda: Unit Not Ready, sense:
Current 00:00: sense key Not Ready
Additional sense indicates Medium not present
sda : READ CAPACITY failed.
sda : status = 1, message = 00, host = 0, driver = 08
sda : block size assumed to be 512 bytes, disk size 1GB.
sda: test WP failed, assume Write Enabled
 I/O error: dev 08:00, sector 0
 unable to read partition table
 I/O error: dev 08:00, sector 64
/dev/sda: Input/output error
Device busy for revalidation (usage=1)
FAT: unable to read boot sector

Can somebody suggest what is wrong?

Also, what would a suitable entry in /etc/fstab be?

David