[Techtalk] UML hosting providers

James jas at spamcop.net
Thu Jul 1 13:15:04 EST 2004

On Thu, 1 Jul 2004 19:45:33 +1000, you wrote:

>Hey folks,
>
>Anyone got any comments on UML hosting providers? At the moment I'm with
>jvds.com but they've had serious problems with another virtual machine
>coming up on our IP address (which is a serious problem because that
>machine starts bouncing all @puzzling.org mail) which they don't seem
>inclined to fix.
>
>What I'm really looking for is this combination:
> - 64MB RAM
> - at least 3 GB diskspace
> - total control of what services I run on my machine, no firewalling,
>   no artificial limits on subdomains
> - not more than US$25 a month
>
>This combination seems to be pushing it a bit -- most providers will do
>1-2GB of diskspace for that amount of money. However there do seem to be
>a few.
>
>http://vps.pigscanfly.ca/ looked like they had an excellent pricing
>structure but they're about to transfer their customers to jvds.com.
>Does anyone have any experience with these providers:
> - http://www.redwoodvirtual.com/
> - http://rimuhosting.com/
> - http://www.bytemark-hosting.co.uk/
>or any other recommendations?

For the last couple of months, two friends and I have been sharing a
Linode virtual server - www.linode.com. Their entry level, Linode 64,
gives you 64Mb of RAM, 3Gb of diskspace and 25Gb of traffic, all for
US$20/month (plus $10 setup). In total we've had two reboots (one with
several days' warning, one due to an accident), which probably
averages under one minute per month offline. You also get 50% extra
disk space and free setup if you pay for the year upfront, and a free
choice of what distro you use (they supply the kernel itself, you
supply everything else, or use one of their stock filesystems).

The only limitation you may dislike is the 'no firewalling': they have
some ports blocked, listed at:
http://www.linode.com/products/faq.cfm?id=25 - I don't have any use
for those ports anyway, not wanting to run a public NFS or SMB server,
but the absence of finger could be an issue for you?

James.