[Techtalk] relaying my own mail through my own server

Emma Jane Hogbin emmajane at xtrinsic.com
Sat Jan 31 15:54:06 EST 2004

Hi everyone,

I'm trying to figure out exactly what kind of work would be needed to
allow myself to relay mail through my new server. Right now I'm
portforwarding through another server using:
	ssh -L 8025:localhost:25 mail.domain.com
and a minor fix locally to postfix to relay mail through
	relayhost=[127.0.0.1]:25

The server is running Debian stable with postfix and SSH. I've tried
looking through a number of other documents, but I'm just getting turned
around. Out of the following, is there any one specific set up that is
recommended?

	https://bugzilla.redhat.com/bugzilla/attachment.cgi?id=94312
	http://buffy.riseup.net/software/postfix.txt
	http://www.metaconsultancy.com/whitepapers/smtp.htm#s6
	http://www.trilug.org/~jeremy/mail-notes.txt

I think it's the concept of authentication that I'm getting confused by.
If I'm SSHing into the box to do port forwarding (as above), what kind of
authentication am I doing?

thanks,
emma

--