[Techtalk] dah, what's transparent?

Paul Anthony Kerry paul at karres.demon.co.uk
Thu Jan 29 00:48:45 EST 2004

In message <20040128192515.A21823 at Hobbiton.cod.ie>, Conor Daly
<conor.daly at oceanfree.net> writes
>On Wed, Jan 28, 2004 at 10:07:52AM -0800 or so it is rumoured hereabouts,
>Carla Schroder thought:
>>
>> I've always thought the correct term should be 'opaque', because the inner
>> workings are hidden from the user.
>
>I'd apply 'opaque' to Windoze error messages 'cos they tell you nothing
>other than an error occurred.
>
>Conor

General Protection fault translated:

"Your computer has crashed. We designed this interface for six year olds
(you can tell this by the use of twee terms like 'My Computer') so
there's no point telling you what really happened, even if we knew.
Tough shit. Restart your computer and keep your fingers crossed. Of
course, your computer may refuse to shut down because of some
unterminated process that you can't terminate because there is an
unterminated process etc. If you have any common sense at all, pull the
plug out and put up with the nagging messages when you reboot. If you're
lucky it might work. If not, you're screwed. Hire an expensive
consultant with a pseudo-degree in Microshit maintenance and hope you
don't have to take out a mortgage.

Don't whine. We can get away with selling crap like this because we have
a monopoly."

Paul