[Techtalk] Linux Booting Problems

Meredydd meredydd at everybuddy.com
Mon Jan 26 11:47:17 EST 2004

On Sunday 25 January 2004 23:24, Anthony Gorecki wrote:
> I currently have a small network of servers running on a custom
> distribution which focuses on being a minimalistic, secure base
> platform for servers and workstations. The distribution has been
> extensively tested on Pentium 2, 3 and 4 systems, but for some reason
> failed to boot when I deployed it on a Pentium 133 which was intended
> to be used as a NAT router.
For which architecture is this system compiled? What you observed would
be just what one would expect from a kernel and /sbin/init compiled for
i586 (Pentium) or earlier, but /bin/sh and a bunch of other stuff for
i686 (Pentium II) or later. This would result in the programs concerned
trying to use features your processor simply doesn't have, and going
south in a hurry as a result.

Meredydd