[Techtalk] An Introduction

Conor Daly conor.daly at oceanfree.net
Sun Jan 25 20:29:57 EST 2004

On Sat, Jan 10, 2004 at 06:18:55PM -0800 or so it is rumoured hereabouts,
Charlie Paine thought:
> hi, just saw you message, i have an amd 1300 w. 650 megs ram and a 60 gig
> drive, i am using 10 gigs, and running win98se....i am thinking about
> migrating to linux, i have rh9.. and recently loaded both onto a 20 gig
> drive as a test...no problem.... my goal is to run win98se and rh9, idealy
> i'd like to swap files between each partitian... and i'd like to get on
> the net and flip back and forth between os'

One thing you'll find is that you'll soon have your email split across two
OSes since you'll download some under Windows and some under linux.  The
solution to that (at least until you set up your separate home server
that is) is to set one of your mail readers to "don't delete mail from the
server".  This means you'll end up downloading each message twice, once
for linux and once for windows.  You'll still end up with syrchronising
problems though since the message you replied to under windows won't be
marked as replied under linux.  You'll probably end up using only one OS
for your email acitivities to avoid the problem...

Conor

Domestic Sysadmin :-)