[Techtalk] Can't send mail from emacs

dominik.schramm at gmxpro.net dominik.schramm at gmxpro.net
Thu Jan 22 02:00:23 EST 2004

David Sumbler <david at aeolia.co.uk> writes:
> I have changed 'user-mail-address' to "david at aeolia.co.uk", and I now
> get the following bounced back to me:

> <david at aeolia.co.uk>
>     (reason: 553 5.1.8 <david at ceres.staly.plus.com>... Domain of sender address david at ceres.staly.plus.com does not exist)

> ... while talking to mail-relay-2.fastweb.co.uk.:
> <<< 553 5.1.8 <david at ceres.staly.plus.com>... Domain of sender address david at ceres.staly.plus.com does not exist
> 501 5.6.0 Data format error
>
> It seems as if I need to change the 'sender' address, but I have no
> idea how to do that.  Any clues?

That was the right way. Two things I can think of could be wrong
here:

1. you're not using the sendmail emacs package to send emails.

2. you're having the problem as i'm having at the moment:
   all the variables are badly-documented and cross-referential.

a workaround for both:(*)

in the composition buffer:
M-x eval-expr RET(URN)
(setq query-user-mail-address t) RET

then send the mail, you're asked for the sender address
in the mini buffer: input
david at aeolia.co.uk

this should help for this one mail message.

(*) i'm going to bed now. i'll help you further tomorrow with
more than a workaround if i can, until then: maybe someone from
 ... (where it's still light outside) can take over.

dominik

--
Dominik Schramm <dominik.schramm at gmxpro.net>
pgp key available via e-mail, web, and FTP from