[Techtalk] Can't send mail from emacs

dominik.schramm at gmxpro.net dominik.schramm at gmxpro.net
Thu Jan 22 00:55:39 EST 2004

David Sumbler <david at aeolia.co.uk> writes:

> On Wed, 21 Jan 2004 dominik.schramm at gmxpro.net wrote:
>
>> I could probably help with Emacs if you tell me which package
>> you're using to send mail.
>> Try M-x customize-group, group name sendmail.
>> Look for "envelope from", or:
>> M-x customize-variable, variable name mail-envelope-from.
>
> 'mail-envelope-from' is set to 'user-mail-address', and
> 'user-mail-address' is set to "david at ceres.staly.plus.com"
>
> David

so there's you're problem. just set it to the from address value
you use in pine and everything should/could be fine.
if that's not enough to make your provider's mail server happy,
then you could dig deeper into emacs or configure your sendmail
to rewrite envelope sender addresses. i can help you with
emacs, but not with sendmail (i'm using exim).

regards,
dominik

--
Dominik Schramm <dominik.schramm at gmxpro.net>
pgp key available via e-mail, web, and FTP from