[Techtalk] Some questions about cygwin

Rasjid Wilcox rasjidw at openminddev.net
Fri Jan 16 23:05:26 EST 2004

On Thursday 15 January 2004 01:54, Yaroslav Fedevych wrote:
> Hello All,
>
> I have installed cygwin, and it runs pretty OK, but there are still some
> annoying problems.
>
> I'm really sorry; I ought check in docs, but at the place of my work
> traffic is pretty expensive, so I don't have such an opportunity. I
> simply cannot abuse the "generosity" of my boss. Besides, it's not about
> Linux, however, I think it's closely related.
>
> The first problem is that I cannot find out how to set my locale data
> properly. I've codepage:oem in my CYGWIN environment variable, so that
> MC displays line art correctly. But with NLS, it's total mess, as I
> cannot even determine which codepage it's gonna show me. OEM is cp866,
> and native Windows codepage is CP1251.
>
> The next problem is that alternative keymaps do not work properly; When
> I try Cyrillic, it behaves like I press Alt/Control key combinations and
> functional keys. How do I set the keyboard properly?
>
> And the most annoying thing. Has someone compiled a thing under cygwin?
> When trying to compile tetex, configure said that the compiler cannot
> produce executable code. How do I handle that?

I can assure you that one can compile things under cygwin, either to be
dependant on the cygwin dll, or even as a 'clean' windows executable.  I have
personally only done it once or twice, but (almost?) everything distributed
through the Cygwin Setup.exe program has been complied under Cygwin, and
there is quite a bit of it.

Since no-one here has answered your question, I would suggest reposting your
question to the appropriate cygwin mail list.  That being said, I very very
strongly suggest reading all relevant FAQs before posting.  See
http://cygwin.com/lists.html for more info.

Cheers,

Rasjid.

--