[Techtalk] re: Printer Problems (REPOST)

Berenice Chong showercurtain2000 at yahoo.com
Fri Jan 16 03:16:23 EST 2004

Sorry for the double posting. I hate hitting shortcut keys by mistake
:)

On 14 Jan 2004, Rasjid Wilcox wrote:

>Off the top of my head I'd suggest checking that openssl (and
>possibly openssl-devel) are installed. Try $ rpm -qa | grep ssl
>or $ locate libssl.so (or both) to look for them.

Thanks, I'll try that first.

On 14 Jan 2004 Akkana Peck wrote:

>Um, wait.  You said you were using LPRng ... so why is cupsd
running?
>LPRng and CUPS should be mutually exclusive.  Or did I miss a
message
>where you uninstalled lprng and switched to cups?

Sorry, that was the case and I should've made it clearer in my post.
Finne suggested using cups, but I got the libssl.so error message
when I tried to start it.  Then I discovered the same thing happened
when I switched back to lpr and restarted that.

>Perhaps go back through the printer's configuration and make sure
>that it's set up to talk to a local printer (or to the correct
>hostname if it's on a network).

I'll need to recheck that actually.  The printer is local and my
machine name is rgveda.localdomain.  It's no longer networked to my
sister's computer but I might have done something with the
configuration and then forgot about it.

Berenice