[Techtalk] NFS Booting from LILO

Mike kenziem at sympatico.ca
Thu Jan 15 11:35:47 EST 2004

On Wednesday 14 January 2004 10:08, MMP - Barb Fox wrote:
> I have a Pentium I laptop that is missing it's original floppy drive.
> The internal CD-ROM is not bootable.  There is an old, but
> working version of linux on the laptop, but I want to wipe it out
> and load vectorlinux.  So the problem is that I have no
> bootable device except the hard drive.  It has only one (/)
> partition, so I don't know how I could shrink the active root
> partition and create another one to "boot" to.  Second
> thought:

I have a similar laptop (Toshiba 2400) the floppy is now dead but now it also
fails to load.  The last time I pulled the drive and mounted it another
machine for instalation.   This time I think its going to be spare parts.  I
have a pair of compaq aeros to take it's place.

The idea of usin the swap for a temp install of a tiny linux sounds
interesting.  Can your current install boot without using swap?

boottp comes to mind as well for booting off the network.

--
Ottawa, Canada

Collector of vintage computers
http://www.ncf.ca/~ba600