[Techtalk] OpenOffice.org wizards: how do I...

Nicoya Helm NHELM2 at kumc.edu
Thu Jan 15 10:13:36 EST 2004

I'll respond to the part that I think I may have useful information on:

Nicoya Helm
Project Manager, Network Services
University of Kansas Medical Center
nhelm2 at kumc.edu

>>> Sue Stones <suzo at spin.net.au> 1/15/2004 4:16:39 AM >>>
<snip>

1) writting subscripts and superscripts: it seems that every time I
need to
use one I have to go to the format menu -> character (box) -> change to

suscript -> OK.  Then to change back I have to do the whole thing
again. Even
keyboard instructions have to go through each step.  This is a lost of
typing
to get one number and means I have to concentrate on formatting not
content.
Is there a faster way of doing this?
<snip>

I'm pretty sure if you posed this question to the OpenOffice.org list,
you would get a response about using the Stylist feature.  The Stylist
is an extremely powerful tool that will basically let you set up
parameters for a certain type of text - for example, one called
Subscript.  The Stylist provides a big list of all these types text that
you have defined (some defaults are provided).  As you go through your
document, you can associate these Stylist definitions with different
snippets of text.  So let's say you have four or five items - words,
characters, etc - throughout your document that you need to have appear
as subscript.  With the Stylist, you define a character style called
Subscript (which took me < 1 min.), then just highlight the item(s) that
you want to appear as subscript, then select the appropriate
"definition" from Stylist  It will automatically apply any of the
formatting definitions you've selected in the Stylist definition
"subscript".    Say you later decide you need to subscript items to
appear just a tad bit larger.  Instead of modifying each item in your
document individually, you just go to your Stylist and modify your
"Subscript" definition - all changes will automatically be applied to
any bits of your document that are designated as "Subscript".

That's just a brief run down - there is much better step-by-step
documentation about using the stylist available at:

http://documentation.openoffice.org/HOW_TO/word_processing/writer1_EN.html

See section 3 "The Stylist".