[Techtalk] NFS Booting from LILO

Telsa Gwynne hobbit at aloss.ukuu.org.uk
Wed Jan 14 19:55:53 EST 2004

On Wed, Jan 14, 2004 at 11:21:23AM -0500 or thereabouts, MMP - Barb Fox wrote:

> >Maybe too complicated. Isn't there a way to start the installer from an
> >existing linux distro?
>
> I'd love to do that, but don't know how

Evil Hack suggestion:

 - 1 - locate Really Small Distro.
 - 2 - Turn off swap.
 - 3 - install Really Small Distro into swap partition.
 - 4 - Add to lilo.
 - 5 - Boot off the swap partition.

(No, this was not my idea. Apparently it does have the advantage
of meaning there is always _something_ you can boot off which you
know to work.)

Other suggestions from same source:

> >Besides, you can look how the FDD should be plugged in. I thought that in
> >old laptops the connectors are the same as on desktop boxes, so you could
> >borrow a floppy drive and give it a try... Or am I wrong?
>
> It's an old Toshiba with a proprietary connector (I tried our parallel
> floppy drives -- no go).  I've called several friends, but nobody has one.

* Ebay ebay ebay. You never know. I think a friend Ebay'd an old
Toshiba (he called it a 'tosh' :)) some years ago there.

* Take drive out, attach to a converter cable (handwave handwave),
stick into machine with spare drive bay, do the install onto the
drive in the other machine, put drive back into laptop.

Telsa