[Techtalk] network query

Patricia Fraser trish at thefrasers.org
Sun Jan 11 22:54:30 EST 2004

Hi all,

I am in the process of connecting to ADSL via a D-Link 300+ modem, which
has a built-in pppoe client. The advice from the ISP is to use DHCP to
get the IP address. This works fine on the machine I've got connected
now.

My problem is, I now want to set up a home network, using the connected
PC as the gateway/firewall. But my head isn't around the DHCP vs.
standard routing thing; if the gateway machine gets a new IP address
from the ISP periodically, then how do I manage this? Will all the
machines in the network have to use DHCP, or can I mix the two methods?

I've looked at some of the howtos, but I think I need pointing to some
sort of overview that will help me understand the network topology I
should be looking at, and how packets will be routed about (and not
slide by the firewall, for instance).

I can possibly use a pppoe client from the gateway and bypass all this,
but I don't understand which way would be better.

Cheers,

--
Trish Fraser, Sunbury, Australia
GNU/Linux user #283226  counter.li.org