[Techtalk] Printer problems

Berenice Chong showercurtain2000 at yahoo.com
Wed Jan 7 03:31:33 EST 2004

I use RedHat 8 LPRng printing system and I'm trying to get my printer
(a Canon BJC-265SP) to actually print something. It appears to be
configured correctly but whenever I try to print a testpage from the
RH printer config GUI, nothing happens, or I get an message saying
"There was an error trying to print the test page". You don't say :L

If I use the cmd line to print, I get the following:

[arashi at rgveda arashi]$ lpr /home/arashi/CSC2406/README
Status Information:
 sending job 'arashi at rgveda+113' to canon at localhost
 connecting to 'localhost', attempt 1
 cannot open connection to localhost - Connection refused
Make sure the remote host supports the LPD protocol
and accepts connections from this host and from non-privileged
(>1023) ports

I don't understand what's happening here. Can anyone explain why my
printer can't print?

thanks
Berenice