[Techtalk] Domain alias expansion in mutt?

Magni Onsoien magnio+lc-techtalk at pvv.ntnu.no
Mon Jan 5 16:04:11 EST 2004

Is it possible to have domain aliases in mutt?

At work we deal with several similar aliases, like support at example.net,
support at example.com, admin at example.com, admin at example.org etc - a lot of
addresses where the first or last parts are the same (because they
aliases are all made for a certain function).

All these could be added to the alias-file on individual basis (I mean
each individual address, not necessarily each of our users' alias file)
and we could use 'support at net' as an alias for support at example.net, etc.
But as the number of such aliases grows, it becomes a bit too complicated
to deal with them on an individual basis - there will simply be too many
addresses to remember to add.

Is it possible to add "domain aliases" in mutt, fex something like

  domainalias net = example.net
  domainalias com = example.com

and then expand the domain 'net' in support at net to support at example.net -
without having to deal with or think about or change the part before @ ?

(The first part will be entirely up to the user, mutt will just add the
appropriate domain. If there already was an alias support at net in the
main aliasfile, that one would be used - the alias file comes before
other definitions, already today an alias in the alias file comes before
a username in the passwd file that mutt would otherwise expand and add
the domain part to.)

Magni :)
--
sash is very good for you.