[Techtalk] Renaming a mailman list: how?

Telsa Gwynne hobbit at aloss.ukuu.org.uk
Mon Jan 5 09:59:22 EST 2004

I help run a mailman mailing list whose function has changed
somewhat. To reflect this, we want to change the name of it
from xxx-blahblah to yyy-blahblah and keep everything else
the same. Well, the same-ish.

We could just create yyy-blah and import the old subscriber
list into it. But everyone will lose their settings then
and we shall have two sets of archives. Is it possible in
some way just to rename xxx-blahblah to yyy-blahblah and
keep everything else intact?

The list is running on Mailman 2.1.2 on Red Hat 9.0 (Shrike).
I do not have root access on this machine so if this involves
those magic scripts and commands Mailman comes with, I have
to ask someone who does have root.

I have read all the docs I can find on the Mailman site,
but I haven't found an answer yet. Something tells me
this probably means "no: you have to create a new list
and import the subscribers and lose all the settings".

But if this is not the case, I would love to know.

Telsa