[Techtalk] remote user notifications

Rasjid Wilcox rasjidw at openminddev.net
Sat Jan 3 00:15:21 EST 2004

On Friday 02 January 2004 11:37, Carla Schroder wrote:
> On Thursday 01 January 2004 3:56 pm, Piglet wrote:
> > On 1/1/04 5:35 PM, carla at bratgrrl.com shared this thought:
> > > Thanks Telsa. I have some users that I need to have this functionality
> > > for, so all I need to do is train them to keep an xterm running
> > > somewhere. It's not that big a deal, I can even set it up to run
> > > automatically. mwah haa haa, I have the power.
> >
> > Ah, but can you train them to *look* at it?
> >
> > Lol
> >
> > --pig
>
> Oh thanks a heap, just when I was feeling happy and victorious...
>
> ;)

If your users are running KDE, then there is no need for them to be looking at
an xterm, or even have one running.

As long as 'kwrited' is running (it is by default on my SuSE 8.2 system) then
'wall' (or 'write') messages will be displayed on a little window that pops
up automagically, regardless of whether they have an xterm open or not.

Not sure if there is an equivalent for Gnome.  Perhaps someone else will know
that one.

Cheers,

Rasjid.

--