[Techtalk] Second try before reinstall--Kernel Oops

Beth Johnson linux.chick at verizon.net
Thu Jan 1 20:51:46 EST 2004

A very empathetic thank you to Telsa and Alan!

Telsa said:
> I asked my husband, who understands kernels. He says, "It is a
> bug in the Fedora kernel, and is the fault of the linux 2.4 kernel.
> It is fixed in linux 2.6."
>
> There isn't much you can do about this beyond reporting it to
> Red Hat's bugzilla.

Thanks, will do.  That's probably the biggest piece of info I was
looking for, since it did look to me that the kernel wasn't playing
nice.  Naughty new fedora kernels!

>  If you have a serial cable for the thing
> instead of a USB cable, that will (should) work. And if this
> worked on RH 9.0, then you should be able to use the RH 9.0
> kernel on Fedora.

I'll look into picking up a serial then unless the Fedora crew is going
to be turning out a 2.6 kernel release soon...one can hope, can't one?!

> His summary of the log is:
> "Insert device, kernel spots it and tries to talk to it..."

Yep, I get all that, I'm pretty intimate with the pda-related modules
from setting up both a Palm and more recently the Clie.

> "Kernel having trouble talking to it"
> > SLOBBIT kernel: usb-uhci.c: interrupt, status 3, frame# 251
> > SLOBBIT usb.agent[6388]: missing kernel or user mode driver visor
> > SLOBBIT kernel:  hdb: hdb4

I figured that wasn't a Good Thing.

> (btw, "hdb is unrelated", he says.)

Yep, that's my zip drive which likes all the attention.

> "And the kernel crashes: this is the Linux equivalent of a blue screen"
> > SLOBBIT kernel: Unable to handle kernel NULL pointer dereference at
> > virtual address 00000998

Well, not *quite* since I was still happily surfing the 'net and
collecting email.  ;-)

So the followup question, is there any way to recover from that crash
without rebooting?

> I had some printing trouble
> with Fedora Core 1. The printer had been working fine on RH 9.0,
> but it wasn't using CUPS. The upgrade to Fedora included a
> migration to CUPS and suddenly it wouldn't print

I *was* using CUPS in Shrike before I did the clean install.  :-(
Apparently that was no protection.  And I tried running the gui
configuration tool and it wouldn't accept any changes!  Strange.
Anyway, I did a clean install of Shrike, then an upgrade to Yarrow,
still getting the kernel crashes but I can print now.  As soon as I get
the uncrippled xmms installed I'll check my volume applet.

Oh well, it can't go well for me all the time I guess.  My big success
yesterday was getting my new AirPort card functioning in my iBook
running Yellow Dog.  Now I can surf from the couch, and setup was easier
and quicker in YDL than in Panther.

thanks again,
Beth
--