[Techtalk] RE: having problems with cvs add -- solved

Conor Daly cdaly at Hobbiton.cod.ie
Fri Feb 27 19:47:06 EST 2004

On Fri, Feb 27, 2004 at 10:31:28PM +1100 or so it is rumoured hereabouts,
Rasjid Wilcox thought:
> On Friday 27 February 2004 04:56, Meredydd wrote:
> > Quick plug: If you use Subversion (same most probably goes for Perforce,
> > BitKeeper and all semi-modern RCSs out there), once you've checked out
> > a working copy, where you got it from is saved, so you only ever need
> > specify the repository location once.
>
> I'm fairly sure this is true of good old CVS too.  Just cd into the directory
> you have already checked out the project into, and 'cvs update -d -P' (or
> whatever flags you wish).

That's true but CVS will forget where a module came from once you 'cvs
release' it.  Will subversion remember?  I tend to release my checked out
stuff asap and then use checkout rather than update if I need to work on
it again.  This insures (a bit) against forgetting to update before making
changes.

Conor

Domestic Sysadmin :-)